Thursday, January 20, 2011

Desiderare Domus: Preface

Part One
Preface
Our Narrator and Our Desires

I take a waning breath before beginning the tale I’ve been telling for eternity.
I exhale.
I dig into you, and find that you are waiting.
Always waiting. Always expecting.
Never calm. Never still.
But you’re only human, and I cannot blame you.
I speak to you for not the first time, for you’ve all spoken to me at some point in your lives. In fact, you speak to me every day, whether you hear yourself or not.
I hear you.
I ask a question, but ask that you take your time with the answer. I’ve discovered that humans tend to rush in the matter of time, again, whether they see it or not. Maybe because they know they don’t have much time left, or because time has never been on their side.
Time is on my side. It always will be.
I am forever.
My question, my ever-significant request, is that you never forget the story I am preparing to tell you. This story is long, this story is troubling, and it speaks to each and every one of you.
You just might not hear it.
And if you do, it’s because I’m whispering it into your ears.
It’s because I want you to hear it.
I need you to cherish it.
And I am allowed to need things. Just like you. I’m the one who created need, after all. I’m the one who created want.
The one who sings of yearning.
And sometimes, I fulfill it as well.

And that might very well be the moral of this story.

So for a moment, I’m going to take your hand.
Don’t be alarmed, I’ve done that before.
You’ve just never felt it.

For a split second, I will reach into your soul.
And there, I’m going to give to you a story.
My story.
Their story…
Your story.

Listen to it, hold it, and remember it. If there is anyone, anything besides God himself in this universe that is aware of your desires anymore than you are, it’s me. I know perfectly well that there is so very much you want from me, so much you desire and are doubting exists.
It does exist. It all does.
And I want nothing more than to give it to you.
But I’m not sure you deserve it yet. You see, I only give to people who have earned what they want. But lately, I’m not sure that’s entirely fair.
I give to you, and I ask nothing in return.
I fulfill every dream you’ve ever hatched, and receive nary a reward.
But now I plan to change that. It’s my turn. My turn to ask something from you.
I deserve that.

So open your hearts and listen to my story. After all, you’re the star. You see, you’re going to find yourself within this tale. You’re going to see a part of your heart, your soul, waiting for you.
When you see that piece, you will have a choice:
Either pick it up, or leave it behind.
Simple.
Excruciating.
Because if you’re one of the ones who plan to leave it behind, you won’t ever have the chance to pick it up again.
Because you don’t recognize it.
Because you don’t even know yourself.

But that’s why I’m here, so I can’t complain. If it weren’t for you broken souls who have lost yourselves in the middle of the road, what would I be? Where would I be? What would become of me?
Of desires?

I have questions, too.
You’re not the only ones.

So close your eyes now, my listeners, and envision yourself away from here. Picture a place built of whatever you wish, whatever you desire. This can’t be too difficult; we’ve all been here countless times before.
In our dreams.
You have designed this place, for none other than yourself. With my assistance, of course. Without me, you wouldn’t even want this place.
Life, child, is not yours to choose.
But it is yours to fix, and yours to redeem.
And you’re the only one who can do that.
Here, in this place you’ve been dreaming of, you are free to do precisely that. You are free to fill the blank canvas of your past, present, and future with anything you could ever dream of.
And the sky stands back, not daring to be your limit.

You will walk these streets, and you will meet other souls who are here with you, though they’re not seeing exactly what you’re seeing. They’re seeing they’re own haven.
And alongside them, you’re going to see me. Though unlike on earth, I’m not solid.
I am translucent and wasting.
But I do not mourn. That’s what I’ve been waiting for.
When I’m gone, I’ll know that I’ve completed my task correctly. I’ll know your desires have been entirely fulfilled.

We call this place Desiderare Domus; desired home.
Yes, home.
You are always welcome here, remember.
And this land is for anyone who’s ever had a dream.
A wish.
A prayer.

So open your eyes, and be welcome.
Go build your home.
Go be enlightened.

I’ll be here.

And I’ll be waiting.

I’ll be waning.

7 comments:

  1. I-I-I-I-I . . . . I'm speechless! That's better than amazing. I was pulled in, delving deeper and I literally couldn't stop. You are definitely someone who has talent and I can't WAIT to have my own copy of desiderare domus! (can i get it autographed?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW! thanks guys! Thats so godo to hear. Really :)
    And yeahhh! i'm definitely dedicating it to you guys. (well, partly, but...)
    anyway! thanks again.
    -erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm posting 2 excerpts on shelfari in announcements! One's funny - I'm in love with how I wrote both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ERIN, YOU ARE TOO GOOD.
    I'm serious. My ego bashed itself against the walls about a thousand times, went into a murderous rage where it tried to kill itself, screamed, died, brought itself back to life, and repeated it about a million times.
    I cannot wait until I can read the rest of this. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU STELLAA!!!
    Tell your ego to stop being so irritating, and to get a job or something :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I never posted those excerpts
    Just check my blog (not the Scream Me Awake, the other one)

    ReplyDelete