Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Friendship is a Seasaw

This is another poem I wrote for English class, when I wrote People are Windows (below.)
Same goes for this...choppy and structured, so not my best :)
"Friendship is a Seasaw" was a provided prompt, so I wrote this about me and my best friend Lexie. When we were about twelve, we loved teeter totters, and joked about how awesome they were all the time. We had all this "inspiring" quotes about them and everything, so this prompt really stood out to me.

Thanks!




Friendship is a sea saw,
just like those simple ones
we adored so much as kids.
Then, they were nothing but plastic
mindless
time devouring enjoyment.
And the shake of all the ups, and the whirl of the downs
had us so dizzy, so dizzy, so dizzy
with the laughter of a game
we didn't really
understand.
And with every single up, we could count on just one thing
the coming, closing, demonic fall
that taunted us
from the sand beneath our feet.
And we would fall off, together
wrapped up in the blue sky
and the colors
and the laughs.
And nothing else mattered.
'cause we were together.
Forever.
But friendship, you see, is a sea saw.
And no matter how bright the mountaintop appears,
the grass will always be there below us
to catch us when we fall.
Some friends, don't last forever
some spend so long
so long
so long climbing...
that they forget about how perfect it is,
right there. Right now. On the way up.
And they rush
rush
rush and don't look back,
as the crumble to the ground again.
Because friendships are sea saws,
and sometimes, we get scared when we reach the top.
We search, with fatal efforts,
to touch our feet to the ground again.
And forget that the best of times
are those spent suspended
above everything, and everyone, who draws them down.
Friendships are sea saws,
but listen here, i've been blessed.
And I owe it all to one simple soul
who has shaped my very being,
more than you can guess.
And when i'm low, when my feet hit the bottom,
I can count on her, her reckless hands,
to fly me back up to the top.
Because friendship is a sea saw,
and no matter how low the down,
how high the up,
I think the ride is the part that matters,
and sometimes, we're all toddlers again,
and we wish the ride,
will never stop.
So, someday, when I reach the top,
I hope that you'll meet me there.
We could laugh again, dizzy and lost,
but nothing else will matter.
Because we'll have each other, and the lessons we had learned,
and we'll smile, and we'll hop back on the teeter totter,
because after all,
friend ship is a sea saw.

2 comments:

  1. I love this so much. It made me even more thankful for the amazing friendships that I have developed over the years.

    I have moved so many times in my life, and when I was little, I knew I would lose friends, but I didn't know how many and I didn't fully understand the value of friendship.

    Ever since, I've attempted to treasure every moment, and truly live life to the fullest.

    I've lost friends, left friends, and made friends, but you're right- the best part is the thrilling ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cor :)
    I totally agree. I'm sorry to hear that, but in the long run you're entirely right. It's the ride :)

    ReplyDelete