Monday, May 30, 2011

Shadows, Yes: But Also Light

Read first as a conversation between opposing forces, but transitions into a poem from a single perspective. Enjoy!


Do you know yourself?
I do.
What's your name?
But it's unspoken.
Is it loud?
It's...soft.
Are you warm?
I'm kind of cold. A little cold...
Are you dark?
I am gray. The fairest, hoarsest shade.
Can I touch you?
You can't feel me.
Take my hand.
But I have none.
Take my mind.
It's run away.
Run away?
Into the sun.
And you can't reach?
No, I can't move. Can't move.
Come out from the shadows. Coem out from the veil.
But the veil won't let me out. I seem to be stuck.
Is it ever gold, a life in gray?
Is it ever gray? A life in gold?
I dare decline. It's always bright.
Must be tight...
No. Wide, I'd fight...
What a sight! The sight of open...
Do you yearn? For more than close?
I only reach, for her, and him.
For her and him?
For those who have moved on.
Away from you.
Away from me.
Where have they gone?
They've gone outside.
And they did not take you with them.
No, they left me. For the light.
Left me here, to fight.
Oh, light...a burning sight.
I'm just a shadow, dark and gray,
lost amid these walls of black, I'll never find my way.
And you, you taunt me, from afar.
You taunt this sallow nightmare, where I have lived apart.
You shine down on this sleepign town,
Yet, you never fail to pass me,
This shadow, tied and bound.
So now I reach, I fly much higher.
And I pray this mold shall break.
I sing a song, of black and white.
Tag along, dusted color's broken kite, I sail,
Never emerging gray, or dark.
So shine down, shine on me bright,
and show to me, this world.
Where all I am, and all I've known
Now can see, that I have flown.
That night stands back,
the day rides on,
and slowly, now, I'll fall apart.
I let go now, of grays and blacks,
of this shadow I once knew.
I left the veil, all hail, all hail!
For I am now set free
no longer shall I be
just the shadow, they can't see.
strung so high, a rope off light.
Bid farewell, to naive fright.
Fly tonight, this hallowed flight.
Shine bright.
Shadow's yes...
But also light.

No comments:

Post a Comment